Raw rice – ¾ cup
Moong Dal – ¼ cup
Salt to taste
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cashew nut – 10
Pepper corns – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 10
Zeera / Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
1) Wash dal and rice together.
2) Pressure cook rice moong dal mixture with salt and 3 cups of water for 5 whistles. Allow the pressure in the cooker to subside.
3) Heat ghee in a small pan, roast the cashew nuts then remove the cashews and keep aside.
4) To the same ghee add pepper corns, zeera, curry leaves, asafoetida. Fry for few minutes. Add this seasoning to the rice dal mixture.
5) Add the cashew nuts and mix thoroughly.
6) Serve the ven pongal with sambar or chutney.
The rice and dal mixture ratio can be changed. You can also make the rice: dal ratio ½: ½. But I like to use ¾: ¼ .